The job profile of an Adventure Sports Instructor or Outdoor Activities Instructor is just as exciting as the adventure sports industry itself.
Those who have a passion for adventure sports and a love for the outdoors can consider building an uncommon yet highly satisfying and adventurous career as an outdoor activities instructor.
As a Outdoor Activities Instructor or Trainer, you have the choice of working in several different outdoor activity areas including rock climbing, scuba diving, surfing, water skiing, kayaking and mountaineering, among others.
Role and Responsibilities of an Outdoor Activities Instructor
As an outdoor activities instructor, you take on the job of planning and arranging outdoor sports activities for different groups of people, depending on their age group and specific interests.
Since most adventure sports activities require professional supervision, the role of an instructor/trainer becomes very important. The instructor must make sure that all the equipment is in perfect working condition.
Especially in the case of water activities, the instructor should ensure that the weather conditions will not interfere with the outdoor activities.
The Adventure Sports instructor must educate all the team members and inform them about the safety tips and precautions that must be kept in mind while indulging in any activity.
Skills Needed to Become a Successful Adventure Sports Instructor
- Well trained and experienced in adventure sports.
- Committed & goal driven.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to lead a team and keep them motivated.
- Highly responsible and dependable.
- Ability to train people.
- Trained to handle difficult and risky situations.
- Medical knowledge and skills to help people.
- Well informed and aware.
- Love for the job.
Training to be an Adventure Sports Instructor
In order to build a successful career as an Adventure Sports instructor, you must be well trained and certified from a reputed training institute.
You should have extensive knowledge and experience in a range of outdoor sports activities.
With the popularity of summer camps and outdoor activity training centers, instructors can find a wide range of opportunities for building a satisfying career in this field.
Some Training Institutes include
- Nehru Institute of Mountaineering, Uttarakhand
- Amber Aviation
- Himalayan Mountaineering institute, Darjeeling
- Tenzing Norgay Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Jawahar Parbat, Darjeeling
- The National Institute of Water Sports in Panjim, Goa
- Regional Mountaineering Centre, McLeodganj
- Water Sports Centre, Bilaspur