Offbeat Career in Dance
The entertainment industry is one of the fastest growing industries, especially in India that creates a large number of job opportunities in the field of dance. Out of these, the profile of a dance choreographer is perhaps the most dynamic.
Those individuals who love to dance, are creative and inclined towards guiding and training others, are flexible and trained in different dance forms usually opt for a career as a dance choreographer.
It takes many years of training and experience as a dancer to become a successful choreographer.
Career and Job Profile of a Dance Choreographer
Choreographers are those talented, trained and experienced dancers who are responsible for designing, arranging and coordinating different dance sequences based on a song or drama.
Though choreographers work behind the scenes, they are the actual face behind an entire dance act.
- A choreographer may be in charge of a solo dance, a couple dance or a large dance sequence with a huge team of dancers.
- Depending on the theme of the performance, it is the job of the choreographer to choreograph interesting and apt dance moves that go well with the music.
- Next, a choreographer is responsible for conducting auditions to select the most talented team of background dancers for an act to be performed either on stage, in concert halls, outdoor events, in movies or music videos.
Skills Needed to become a Successful Choreographer
- Strong dancing skills and a heightened sense of aesthetics, mood, rhythm, and beats.
- Relevant training and knowledge of different dance forms such as Indian Classical, Bollywood, Jazz, Salsa, Ballet, Freestyle, and Hip Hop, etc.
- Knowledge of music, drama, theatre, and other art forms.
- Stage presence and creativity, patience, commitment, and focus.
- Ability to lead and train a group of dancers and work effectively in a team.
- Excellent stamina and loads of energy and enthusiasm.
- Good communication skills.
- Well informed about the latest trends in the dance industry.
- Ability to think out-of-the-box and learn new dance styles quickly.
Career Opportunities for Choreographers
- Choreographers can find employment with production houses (film/music video), theatre groups, dance schools, musicals, street performances to raise awareness on social issues, film/music video productions, and more.
- Upcoming choreographers can also join as assistants to professional and established choreographers.
- After gaining the right exposure and experience, choreographers can set up their own dance companies and offer training to students and those individuals who are interested in learning dance.
- A number of TV Channels today run dance shows for kids and adults. This opens up employment opportunities for choreographers as well.