Famous Cities and Forts of Kerala
It is rightly said that your exploration of India will be incomplete unless you visit Kerala, ‘God’s Own Country’!
Strategically located on the south-western tip of India in an area of about 38,800 km2, Kerala is a gorgeous Indian state whose natural beauty is second to none.
It is this serene and laidback beauty that transforms Kerala into one of the most popular tourist destinations that are frequently visited by travellers from all over the world.
In addition to its pleasing green landscapes and long coastline, Kerala is blessed with rugged mountains, dense forests, picturesque hill stations, twinkling waterfalls, gurgling rivers, and peaceful backwaters. It is a true picture of heaven on earth!
Geographical Location: The Arabian Sea lies towards the west of Kerala while on its south and east is the state of Tamil Nadu and the Western Ghats. Karnataka is located towards the north of Kerala, and the capital city of Kerala is Thiruvananthapuram.
Climate: Most of Kerala is humid and hot except for the highlands. March-May is summer in Kerala while the winter months are December-February. Monsoons in Kerala begin around June, just after the hot and sweltering summer months have passed and it continues till mid-October. Many people choose to visit Kerala, June onwards so they can enjoy its rain-washed beauty.
DYNAMIC CITIES OF KERALA
There are a number of vibrant cities in Kerala, each having its distinctive facets. Let’s take a look at some of them –
1. Thiruvananthapuram – Also known as Trivandrum, Thiruvananthapuram is the capital of Kerala and is home to several Government buildings, Temples and Museums, beaches and historical monuments.
2. Kozhikode – Calicut or Kozhikode is a port town in Kerala, located towards the north of its coastline. As a port city, Kozhikode was booming with activity in the yesteryears. Today, Calicut is known for its trade in spices, etc., and is home to several monuments, beaches, and wildlife sanctuaries.
Other attractions here include the Kozhikode (Calicut) Planetarium, Thikkoti Lighthouse and the Velliyamkallu Rock.
3. Kochi – Located on the south-west coast in the Ernakulam district of Kerala, Kochi or Cochin is the business hub of Kerala. The name Cochin is given to the region in general that includes Cochin, Mattancherry, Ernakulam, Fort Kochi, Willingdon, Vypeen, and other villages and towns.
4. Kasaragod – Well known for the Bekal Fort located here, district Kasaragod is situated towards the absolute north of Kerala and offers specimens of Kerala’s rich culture and heritage including beautiful forts, temples and the likes. Tourists love to experience the serene backwaters here, and the boat cruise is also quite famous.
5. Alappuzha (Alleppey) – Alleppey is situated close to the sea. The town of Alappuzha is known for its peaceful backwaters, thrilling boat races, serene lakes, and rivers. The natural beauty found here as well as the diverse range of animals and birds is truly awe-inspiring. No wonder, Alleppey is a popular tourist spot in Kerala.
Enchanting Tourist Destinations in Kerala
Forts and Museums in Kerala – A tryst with the past
Bekal Fort, Kasaragod – Built in 1650, the Bekal Fort is located about 15 km from Kasaragod and is well known as one of the most well-preserved forts in Kerala.
Kuthiramalika Palace Museum, Thiruvananthapuram – Built by the King of Travancore, this palace museum is a perfect example of exquisite and detailed Travancore style architecture, prevalent during those times.
Today, on visiting the museum, you will be able to see on display several paintings of the royal family who lived here.
The Napier Museum, Thiruvananthapuram – This is a famous 19th-century Museum of Kerala that houses rare historical artifacts such as ornaments and idols.
Pazhassiraja Museum & Art Gallery, Kozikode – A large number of items are on display at this Museum, located at a distance of 5 km from Kozhikode. It includes earthenware, old coins, etc. The art gallery close by offers a glimpse of the life of Raja Ravi Varma.
Kerala is colorful and beautiful. Are you ready to experience its beauty?