Offbeat Careers in Food Writing
No matter which part of the city or country you may be in, you are sure to find a place to eat and this makes a career in food writing all the more appealing.
There is no shortage of eateries to choose from. Depending on your budget, you can opt for a fancy restaurant, a quaint little coffee shop, highway diners and even those homely dhabas that serve fresh, hot and tasty food.
Food Writing has gained tremendous popularity over the years and its credit goes to the newspapers, magazines, television and even the internet. Food attracts the attention of people from all age groups and all walks of life – students, working professionals, housewives, and even children
Right from watching cookery shows and trying out the latest recipes from magazines & cookbooks to searching the internet for simple and easy recipes, the food industry has significantly grown in all parts of the world.
Job Profile of a Food Writer
Food Writers are highly sought after by newspaper and magazine publishers, food and review websites as well as television shows.
Food Writers may be Hired to Write
- Reviews of restaurants.
- Press releases and news pieces about the launch of new hotels, restaurants, coffee shops, and other types of eateries.
- Interviews of well known and world-renowned Celebrity Chefs.
- Articles about the latest food events.
- Articles food columns in newspapers and magazines.
- Content for cookery shows
- Articles, recipes and food guides in different cities, especially for travel websites.
- Special interest content and recipes related to high nutrition meals, healthy breakfast ideas, food for weight loss, baking and roast recipes, etc.
Skills Needed to Become a Successful Food Writer
Food writers are people who combine their love for food and writing to build a career in food writing.
- A keen interest in eating and cooking.
- A passion for writing and the ability to express their passion for food using the right words.
- The knowledge of different cooking styles, ingredients, etc.
- An interest in experimenting with new recipes.
- Ability to enjoy different cuisines.
- An interest in travelling.
- A strong and well-developed palate.
Career Opportunities in Food Writing
- You can work for a newspaper and manage their food column.
- You can write food-related articles for magazines.
- You can work with food-based television shows.
- Using food writing skills, you can work on websites dedicated to food and cooking.
- You can work for publishers of food guides.
- You can publish your own cookbook.
- Using your strong communication and writing skills, you can interview bakers and chefs.
- If you are interested in research, you can even study different cuisines and their history.
Some Famous Celebrity Chefs & Food Writers in India and International
- Madhur Jaffrey
- Tarla Dalal
- Sanjeev Kapoor
- Vir Sanghvi
- Jiggs Kalra
- Curtis Stone
- Jamie Oliver
- Nigella Lawson
- Rachael Allen
Are you a food writer? Write to us and share your experiences.
Are you looking for content writing/editing services for your travel or food blog? Contact Us