What is Procrastination and How to Fight It?
Procrastination is the seemingly harmless act of postponing, delaying, or putting off things for a later date or time. Even though the habit of procrastination seems harmless, procrastination in freelancers can become a fundamental problem. It can put your freelance career into jeopardy.
And it is especially true for those hoping to succeed in a self-made career.
THE HABIT OF PROCRASTINATING IN FREELANCERS
If you wish to build a career in freelancing, keep in mind that a prerequisite of succeeding as a freelancer is the ability to always meet project deadlines.
Clients expect you to be sincere, punctual and a disciplined professional. They expect you will deliver high-quality work on time and according to agreed deadlines.
So, it the habit of procrastination sets in; things can go extremely wrong. For instance, it can slow down your progress and hold you back from moving up the ladder of success.
Procrastinators usually face a loss of focus and discipline. Since they keep putting off completing their tasks, they miss out on valuable projects and meeting deadlines.
And this leads to loss of respect, trust, and the opportunity to get repeat orders from clients.
ALSO READ: How to Get Over Writer’s Block?
Are you facing an endless cycle of putting off your tasks and responsibilities for another day? If yes, it is time to correct this habit before it totally disrupts your career growth!
8 Tips for Breaking the Habit of Procrastination
- Get into the habit of maintaining a Task List or a To-Do list that lists down the projects/tasks that you must complete during the day or week.
- Next, prioritize your tasks based on urgency and importance.
- Use a scheduling app, post-its or simply a notebook to keep a track of the tasks that need your immediate attention and the ones that can be tackled later.
- Clear your mind before you start your workday.
- Take sufficient breaks between each task but always come back to your work, the moment your break is over.
- Remember to take deep breaths in between your work. Breathing deeply will help you relax and bring back your focus on the task at hand.
- Analyze the reasons why you want to procrastinate and eliminate them, one by one.
- Strike off each completed task from your to-do list and savour the feeling of a task well done.
Procrastination is a dangerous habit for everyone. However, for a freelancer, it is even more self-defeating! Since you are dependent on yourself to get ongoing work, you must accept responsibility for your actions and habits.
Though the habit of procrastination is hard to break, it isn’t impossible.
Every time you think about putting off a task, remind yourself of the feeling of accomplishment you can enjoy, on completion of your to-do list.
We wish you all the best in your journey towards self-realization and discipline!