WHAT IS PROCRASTINATION?
Procrastination is the seemingly harmless act of postponing, delaying or putting off doing something for a later date or time.
Even though the habit of procrastination seems harmless, it can easily turn into a serious problem, especially for freelancer consultants who hope to succeed in a self-made career.
HABIT OF PROCRASTINATING IN FREELANCERS
If you wish to build a career in freelancing, you must keep in mind that one of the prerequisites of succeeding as a freelancer is the ability to meet project deadlines at all times.
Clients expect you to be sincere, punctual and a disciplined professional who can deliver high-quality work on time and according to agreed deadlines.
If the habit of procrastination sets in, things can go extremely wrong as it can slow down your progress and hold you back from moving up the ladder of success.
Procrastinators usually face loss of focus and discipline. Since they keep putting off completing their tasks, they end up missing out on valuable projects and meeting deadlines leading to loss of respect, trust and the opportunity to get repeat orders from clients.
If you have been falling into the endless cycle of putting off your tasks and responsibilities for another day, it is time to correct this habit before it totally disrupts your career growth.
Tips For Breaking The Habit of Procrastination
- Get into the habit of maintaining a Task List or a To-Do list which lists down the projects/tasks that you have to complete during the day or week.
- Prioritize your tasks based on urgency and importance.
- Use a scheduling app, post-its or simply a notebook to keep a track of the tasks that need your immediate attention and the ones that can be tackled at a later date.
- Clear your mind before you start your workday.
- Take sufficient breaks between each task but always come back to your work, the moment your break is over.
- Remember to take deep breaths in between your work. Breathing deeply will help you relax and bring back your focus on the task at hand.
- Analyze the reasons why you want to procrastinate and eliminate them, one by one.
- Strike off each completed task from your to-do list and savour the feeling of a task well done.
Though the habit of procrastination is hard to break, it isn’t impossible. Every time you think about putting off a task, remind yourself of the feeling of accomplishment that you can enjoy, on completion of your to-do list.
We wish you all the best in your journey towards self-realization and discipline!