Offbeat Careers in Story Writing: Children’s Story Writer
Healthy reading habits play an important role in developing a child’s mind. This is why it is important to make sure that interesting, attention-grabbing and informative reading materials are available to kids from a young age.
This makes the job of a children’s story writer quite demanding yet equally satisfying.
Well written stories have an amazing power to enhance the thinking power of children in addition to improving their vocabulary, developing their reading habits and contributing to their overall development and growth.
Creative Careers in Story Writing for Kids
Today, there is no dearth of opportunities for story writers, especially those who can write stories for children.
From fantasy and adventure stories to moral based, inspirational, motivational and folktale stories, children stories are in great demand in print as well as online (websites and portals).
The main role and responsibility of a story writer are to write meaningful stories which can teach, educate and inform kids.
First and foremost, the kids’ story writer must determine the age group of kids he/she is writing for.
Next, the theme must be kept in mind to give the actual shape to the story – adventure, fun, moral-based, educational, fantasy, etc.
Essential Skills of a Story Writer
Those interested in making a career as a Children’s Story Writer should possess the necessary/desirable skills:
- Degree in English
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to understand the temperament of kids
- Ability to transform ideas & thoughts into the right words based on the age group of kids they are writing for
- A genuine interest in catering to the reading habits of kids
- A high level of creative thinking
Opportunities in Story Writing
- Those genuinely interested in becoming childrens story writers can choose to work from home and freelance in this field or work on their own book.
- Magazines for kids, as well as websites dedicated to kids, may hire story writers.
ALSO READ: How to Write for Kids