Job Profile of Fitness Trainers
The health and fitness industry is one of the fastest growing in India and abroad making the job of fitness trainers very important. The desire to lose weight, stay fit and look good is common amongst people of all age groups.
Add to this the growing awareness about the importance of adopting a healthy lifestyle is throwing up a multitude of career opportunities for personal fitness trainers, therapists, dieticians, weight management experts, group fitness instructors, and yoga experts.
Right from corporate offices to gyms, spas, resorts and health clubs, the demand for fitness specialists is on the rise and is expected to escalate even further.
Role of Fitness Experts, Personal Trainers, and Instructors
As the title suggests, the job of a personal trainer is to work with their clients on a 1-on-1 basis and assist them to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
It is the responsibility of the trainer to teach their clients fitness essentials such as how to exercise correctly, which exercise regime to follow such as aerobics, weight training, walking, etc., and how to adopt healthy eating habits on a day to day basis.
Besides this, the trainer takes on the role of a coach, an instructor and a guide as he or she works with the client and monitors their progress.
For eg., a person who is working towards losing weight and maintains a healthy diet will require expert advice and weight monitoring from time to time.
To Become a Successful Fitness Instructor you must
- Be well trained and certified by an accredited fitness academy/school.
- Preferably have a degree in the healthcare field.
- Be passionate about fitness and enjoy guiding people.
- Practice what you preach – be healthy and fit so that you can truly motivate others.
- Have a friendly disposition and strong communication skills.
- Understand the functioning of the body and different body types.
- Have the ability to work out the best fitness program for each individual client.
Benefits of a Career in Fitness
- A career in the health and fitness industry offers tremendous flexibility in terms of working hours, etc.
- Working in the fitness field makes it easy to exercise and stay fit even while on the job.
- It enables you to do what you enjoy most, i.e, inspire others.
- There is no dearth of opportunities for those who want to build a career in the fitness industry such as personal trainers, weight management experts, yoga instructors, dieticians, and therapists.
- Job opportunities are available with Health Clubs, Spas, Fitness Centers and even on a freelance basis.
Are you a Fitness Instructor? Write to us and share your experiences.