How to Solve Problems in your Freelance Writing Journey
Nothing in life comes easy. Ask any self-employed freelance writer and they will tell you about the many problems in building a successful writing business. In this article, we’ve put together easy solutions for freelance writers.
Of course, being self-employed offers many benefits too. Flexibility, the convenience of working from home, and being one’s boss are just some of the perks that writers enjoy.
However, when it comes to building a successful freelance writing business, every writer must learn to find the right solutions to the common hindrances that slow down their progress in the competitive world of freelance writing.
SOLUTIONS FOR FREELANCE WRITING SUCCESS
Here are some tried and tested solutions to common problems freelance writers face in their quest for setting up and growing a flourishing writing business –
1. Learn to Prioritise and Discipline Yourself
Self-employed writers face much ridicule for their habit of putting off work until a later date or time. In many cases, writers end up losing lucrative work orders due to their inefficiencies and unprofessional behaviour.
Snap out of this destructive and counter-productive habit, pronto!
Here are a few easy ways –
- Make a list of things you want to accomplish in a day/week/month.
- Complete all your urgent work and important tasks first.
- When you start writing, remove all the possible distractions (Facebook, Twitter, Television, your phone) that may keep you from completing your writing piece.
- Know what your short-term and long-term goals are. Write them down clearly and look at them from time to time.
- Schedule ample time for all your important tasks that need to be completed including administrative or accounts related, routine jobs pertaining to your writing business, etc.
- Keep a check on your tendency to put off work in favour of something more frivolous such as surfing the net.
As soon as you start drifting away from the job at hand, remind yourself of how much you want to make this a success and get back to work.
2. Get Repeat Clients for Your Business
If you’re unsure where your next writing assignment is going to come from, you’re not alone.
Maintaining a steady flow of work on a regular basis is every writer’s dream. However, this is not always possible owing to the uncertain nature of web writing.
Here’s what you can do to tackle this problem –
- Deliver high-quality content, always.
- Be consistent in your approach and efforts towards finding new work.
- Stay in touch with your past clients.
- Ask your past clients for other references.
- Always update your customers / previous clients about any new services that you introduce.
- Send newsletters to your past clients and inform them about any new offers or discounts that you’re offering.
- Network with other writers.
- Participate in forums and follow other writers’ blogs and websites that provide writing opportunities.
3. Overcome Writer’s Block and Find Ways to Stay Motivated
Low points in your career can bring you down and limit your creativity. Writer’s block may hold you back from delivering high-quality work that you owe to your clients.
Fight writer’s block using some of these techniques –
- Read often.
- Write something daily.
- Motivate yourself to complete all the tasks on your to-do list.
- After completing your short goals pat yourself on the back and indulge in your favourite hobby.
- When faced with writer’s block, take a break and rejuvenate yourself by listening to music, going for a walk, or looking through your past work.
Reading past client testimonials can give you that much-needed motivation to recreate the magic of your words.
4. Organise Your Time Effectively
A work-from-home setup tends to merge home and work life. Writers who operate their writing business from home must learn ways to organize their time effectively so that their work life and home life do not suffer.
The aim is to find a balance between both so that you can enhance your productivity at work and also lead a happy and fulfilling life with your family.
- Maintain a list of tasks that you need to complete, both at home and work.
- Organise your time in such a way that you can complete all your responsibilities.
- While at work, remove all possible distractions and make sure your family knows that this is your time for undisturbed work.
- Depending on your home situation, create a timetable for your entire day. If you have more quiet time in the mornings, start your day early so that you can complete your most important work first.
5. Adopt a Professional Approach to Your Freelance Career
If you want to be taken seriously, make sure your freelancing terms and conditions are in place.
- Speak to your accountant to clarify your stand on taxes.
- Map out your payment terms and advance payment requirements, etc.
- Structure your terms and conditions regarding billing, rework and delivery timeframe.
- Have a realistic and competitive rate card in place for all your writing services so that you do not delay sending your quote to a prospective client.
Once you start practicing efficient work habits, you will find it easier to establish yourself in your writing business.
There are simple solutions for freelance writers like you so you can conquer your writing problems!
Let us know if any of these solutions helped you get over the roadblocks you were facing in your writing business.