Job Profile & Duties of a Librarian
All of us have come across librarians at some point in our lives. And this is especially true during our school and college days. A library is unthinkable without a competent librarian. And this makes the job profile of a librarian crucial.
WHO IS A LIBRARIAN?
Librarians are trained library workers responsible for organizing the library material and making it easily accessible to those who need it.
Though an offbeat and uncommon career choice, trained Librarians can find employment with various institutions.
For example, elementary and senior-level Schools, Government and Private Colleges, Universities as well as public libraries.
Offbeat Career as a Librarian
Over the years, the work of a librarian has become more technology-based and less paper-dependent.
From maintaining records and stock of books to locating them when required, librarians use the latest technology in their everyday tasks.
Though the scope of work of a librarian may vary, depending on how large the library is, here are some of the main duties of a Librarian.
Role and Job Profile of a Librarian
- Order and maintain a stock of all relevant books, depending on the age group of readers the library caters to.
- Guide the members of the library so that they can make the best use of the library and its resources. For example, books, magazines, publications, periodicals, and DVDs, etc.
- Update and maintain a database of different library resources regularly.
- Provide training to the other members of the library staff.
- Educate students and other library users about the rules and regulations that are to be followed.
- Help users to find the books of their choice, both manually as well as by using computerized catalogs.
- Maintain order and silence in the library.
- Ensure that the books are kept back in their proper shelves.
- Maintain a record of all the magazines, books, and other resources in the library.
OTHER POPULAR OFFBEAT CAREERS:
Offbeat Career as a Physiotherapist | Offbeat Career as a Voice and Accent Trainer | Offbeat Careers in Fashion | Offbeat Career as a Food Critic | Offbeat Careers as a Fitness Instructor | Offbeat Careers with Museums
Qualities and Skills to Become a Successful Librarian
- Love and respect for all reading materials, especially books.
- Effective communication skills and an interest in helping and guiding people.
- A strong ability to multi-task.
- A passion for organising and finding information, maintaining resources.
- Skills for picking up and learning modern technology quickly.
- Strong working knowledge of computers.
- An elevated level of patience, the ability to work efficiently in stressful situations and as a part of a team.
- Strong leadership qualities.
- Create an air of excitement and interest in the readers to explore the world of books.
Career Opportunities: Training to be a Librarian
- To become a professional librarian, you must gain the right training. This includes getting a graduate or masters degree in Library Sciences.
- Trained librarians can find employment in various places. These include Public Libraries, Corporate Libraries and Academic Libraries including University Libraries, College and School libraries.