Careers in Wedding Planning
Since weddings, especially Indian weddings are usually a large-scale event which requires a lot of planning and attention to details, Wedding Planners are highly sought-after by a large number of families today.
Wedding Planners, Wedding Coordinators or Wedding Consultants are experienced professionals who can be hired to handle all of the wedding-related arrangements from start to finish, taking away the stress of planning the big day without any glitches.
The job of a wedding planner usually begins the moment a wedding is fixed and ends once all the festivities have concluded.
Depending on the requirements, a wedding coordinator may be hired for all the pre-wedding ceremonies such as Engagement, Mehendi, Sangeet or only for the actual marriage ceremony.
Typically, the scope of involvement of a wedding planner will depend on the extent to which you would like your planner to handle the wedding arrangements.
The great thing about hiring a wedding planner is the ease with which you can discuss all your pre and post wedding celebrations in terms of your wishes, expectations and of course, your budget.
Essentials of a Wedding Planner
To be successful in this business, a wedding planner must be –
- A thorough professional with the dedication to make every wedding day memorable.Great at planning, coordinating and organizing events.
- Have a positive attitude and know how to associate well with customers/clients.
- Creative, flexible, energetic, and a problem solver.
- Calm and helpful.
- Adept at paying close attention to details.
- Able to put the bride/groom and her/his family at ease.
- Willing to work at odd hours, weekends and tight schedules.
- Approachable, friendly and dependable.
- Should have strong organizational and networking skills.
- Aware of all the latest fashion trends.
- Well versed with the customs and traditions followed during weddings across different communities in India/Internationally.
Role and Job Responsibilities of a Wedding Coordinator
- Plan and present a beautiful wedding and related events keeping in mind the client’s tastes, preferences, and budget.
- Work in close cooperation with the bride and her family in order to select the best theme for each function, the decor, floral arrangements, music, food, booking of the venue, etc.
- Coordinate and network with all the parties concerned to make sure all the preparations are done within the stipulated time and presented as promised.
- Assist the bride in selecting her wedding trousseau as well as her attire for each function.
Preparing for a Career in Wedding Planning
- An inherent ability to plan and execute functions has led many women to become professional wedding planners. While some wedding consultants join event management agencies, others operate as freelancers, working from home and offer their services on a need basis during the wedding season.
- Though no specific courses are available to become a wedding planner, a specialization in Event Management may be relevant.
- Word-of-mouth plays an important role for those seeking to flourish in this business.
- Showcase your professionalism wherever possible. Design a professional business card, develop a website to tap the online clients, build a portfolio of every successful wedding you have planned, attend wedding fairs and set up your own stall, etc.
Do you know of a professional course in Wedding Planning? Let us know.
Would you like to promote yourself as a Wedding Planner?
Advertise with us! Contact Us